Monday, June 24, 2013

Poem - Toes

This was originally published on a previous blog that is now going to close I'm afraid, so I'm moving most of the blogs here. I thought it was worth sharing again. ENJOY!

 

 

Toes

I smile now when I think back,
About some people I have met,
There was a group of ladies once,
That I never will forget.
I met them on a morning walk,
That went along the shore,
I chose that route to see the waves,
And watch the seagulls soar.
The sky that day was very blue,
White clouds just off the coast,
As I recall, the sun was bright,
The day was warm as toast.
The ocean was all colors,
A lovely sight to see,
And tiny drops of ocean spray,
Refreshed and welcomed me.
I found, well-anchored in the sand,
A bench made out of rocks,
I sat there for a moment,
Then removed my shoes and socks.

In their new found freedom,
My toes wiggled with delight,
I giggled like a child at play,
They raked the sand just right.
I did not see approaching me,
A lady twice my age,
"Oh," she asked, "Does that feel good?"
Upon my toes, she gazed.
"You bet it does," I answered back,
Admittedly, with glee,
"Here, I will move over some,
Why don't you join me."
Smilingly, she then sat down,
And proceeded to remove,
Her white athletic socks,
And her white athletic shoes.
As her toes escaped their bounds,
She smiled ear to ear.

Then, from the corner of my eye,
I saw someone else was near.
A new voice said, "That looks like fun,
Mind if I sit with you?"
We shifted over on the bench
"Oh, no," I said, "Please do."
So the three of us just sat there,
As we wiggled thirty toes,
When one more lady came along,
Forty toes did to-and-fros.

"I just recently retired,"
The first lady said aloud,
"I am a five-time grandma,"
The second bragged, quite proud.
"I think I beat the both of you,"
The last member then exclaimed,
"Today's my ninetieth birthday,
Now, that's my claim to fame."
Then all these older women,
Behaved as kids once more.

Toes freed of their enclosures,
Let them dance around the shore.
The first two got up from the bench,
And turned, and bowed, and whirled,
The third old lady joined in,
And did a dainty twirl.
As the three of them cavorted,
Upon that sandy beach,
I took my leave and stole away,
I think I loved them, each.
To see those older souls,
Shed their troubles for awhile,
Indeed, gave me a total lift,
I could not hold back my smile.

That was just a trifling incident,
That happened years ago,
Yet, now that scene returns to me,
Whenever I feel low.
The sight of those three women,
Who shed their troubles with their shoes,
Is a signal to go barefoot,
When burdened down with blues.

So free your toes from prison,
Let them wiggle in the air,
Giggle as you watch them,
Let them dance away your care.
Toes really are quite fanciful,
They're only there for teasin',
God gave us toes to make us laugh,
No other rhyme nor reason.

No comments: