Monday, September 03, 2012

It's been a long time away!!!

Originally published on Multiply, December 16th, 2007,,


So sorry that I haven't been around much this week, you'd think now that Tony is in rehab I'd have a bit more time to blog etc, but the alone time that I do have, I kind of cherish and try to rest.

In truth there is not that much to report. Since he got there, Monday (Dec. 10th) afternoon, what they have been doing in physio and OT is mostly evaluate him. And most days the Vankomicin drip that they give at 9am, was conflicting with the physio or OT schedule as the drip wasn't finished, so they would have to cancel the session. Very annoying! I spoke with the person in charge - her name is Sunshine, isn't that a nice name :) - about the conflict and she is supposed to have made a note in the chart to speed up the drip to 1-1/2 hours instead of 2 hours, that way, it wouldn't interfere with the 11am session with either physio or OT.

Right now twice a day on week-ends and during the week, once at night, they have him walk with what is called a hemi walker, the link will show you what that looks like. And someone ( if I'm here, I do it) follows with the wheelchair, so that when he's done with the walk, we can wheel him back to his room.

The first 2 days he did that, he walked 15m (almost 50 ft) and Friday and Saturday night he doubled the distance. So that is very good, but there is still so much more work to be done. And so far, there is still no movement with the arm or hand, he is very disappointed with that. He is so anxious to get out of the wheelchair too, as he is very uncomfortable, and gets a sore back. Because he is soooooooooooooooo tall, according to everyone there, 6 ft 2" (1.87m) is not THAT tall, he's no giant, but they can't seem to be able to fit him properly in the wheelchair. I hope he'll soon be able to graduate to a walker, but if he doesn't get the arm/hand action, I guess that won't happen. Not for a while anyway.

They also changed his diet without saying a word, which I found strange. Yesterday morning a lady from the food department (not sure exactly of her position) was  going around each rooms asking if patients were happy with the food etc. Tony told her he was, he liked what they gave him and the presentation, with the exception that by the time he gets it, everything is cold, and needs to be warmed up in the microwave. Apparently he's not the only one with that complaint (no kidding!!!) That's because the kitchen is actually in the adjoining building where there is a nursing home, so by the time it gets to the rehab side, even though it is stored in those large metal carriers, these are not heated, so the food is naturally cold.

Anyway, when lunch and supper arrived, he no longer had his small container of milk, someone had manually scratched it out and crossed out brown bread and switched it to white (we also complained about the fact that the bread was always dry, so I have to go and toast the bread) and even the dessert was changed, from rice pudding to a banana last night, and I forget what it was for lunch. So at lunch I went to the cafeteria and bought him a container of milk and brought a piece of cake, and at supper I found a container in their fridge (they keep the overstock in the fridge) and brought it to Tony.

Later I decided I would go and get supper in the cafeteria instead of what I had brought. So we went down, and it appeared to be closed but I saw that same lady who had visited earlier so I spoke with her about the change again. Apparently the orders came from the dietitian, and she (the lady) had been making the changes manually. She asked if he had diarrhea oe loose stools, and Tony said no he didn't, not since he's been at the rehab. so she will change the diet back and speak with the dietitian on Monday. I hope SHE comes to speak with Tony about this and not make arbitrary changes like this without notice. Because if they do and I just go ahead and bring whatever, it defeats the purpose now doesn't it! You would think someone would clue in!!

Other than being bored when he's in his room and being uncomfortable when sitting in the wheelchair, he's not doing too bad, but I have to say that his spirit at times dips. I think because almost nobody from his office bothers to come see him. The owner of the company never bothered to even pick up the phone or even send a card. Seems to me that should be the least they could do. It is a family owned business, not a big corporate giant, so you expect better from them. His boss finally called on Friday - we think it was after John (a good friend who also works there) spoke to him, but we don't know for sure. Even the family don't come all that often, or call. It is understandable, they have their own lives, but to Tony it means the world when someone comes to see him or calls to see how he is. His sister Carole dropped in after work this week, I think it was Thursday and I drove her home, since we both live in the West Island. His brother lives in the East end (P.A.T.) so for him it's further to go, but every other week-end when he was in the hospital they would at least drop in on Saturday for a short while, but nothing this week. His brother from Guelph does call him, and he did on Saturday. I feel so bad for him!

And today we are expecting a storm, and I told Tony I wouldn't come because there will be too much snow, we are expecting anywhere between 15cm to 40cm of snow (6" to 16") coupled with high winds. And snow clearing in Montreal (NDG where he is now) is just terrible. If we only get 15cm, maybe I'll attempt to go, but if it's more I'll have to wait and see. Problem is that Monday will be no better. because then the snow clearing equipment will be out and we won't be able to park anywhere!! Meanwhile he's all alone in his room, bored to tears. But at least he does have a TV now, it took 3 days to get one, they have a shortage there!!! Imagine being stuck in there without anything to entertain you!! He's not a reader, so reading books is not an answer for him, even the newspaper I was bringing or magazine he was getting at home and that I brought him didn't seem to hold his interest. What he needs is a computer - a laptop. but right now I just can't afford to get that. I just feel awful that I can't be there with him and at the same time, I need some time to myself, so I'm torn. I feel guilty when I'm not there.

Thursday and Friday I only went in the afternoon, because he has physio and OT split between the morning and afternoon (when not in conflict with his Vankomycin), and I also had things to do. Had to go for my blood test on Thursday and had to take Tara to the groomer on Friday, I was originally supposed to go on Wednesday, but because the physio therapist wanted me to be there at 9:45 that day, I had to postponed that appointment, only to find out that he couldn't have that session because of the conflict with the Vanko again. But now, I only go in the afternoon and evening during the week, so on the week-end I want to be there for him as there is nothing schedule and many patients do get to go home on week-end, so it's more deserted.

I guess I better get my butt in gear. I hear Pat upstairs, so she's up now, so I should go and get washed and ready for another day and probably a day of shoveling......lol, at least for the walkway and a path for Tara in the back. Luckily we have a contractor to do the driveway, but need to get the cars out of there to let them do the job.

Happy Sunday to everyone! Hope your is a warmer one than here (currently -13C, but feels like -23C with the wind).


moscreations wrote on Dec 18, '07
Thanks MOM for your comment, glad you're able to at least see blogs, hope your mail will be straightened out soon. I hope to be able to get the pictures up soon on the blog :) Take care MOM

moscreations wrote on Dec 18, '07
Hi Moe, hope you're doing better too. Tony does have a radio, he had to depend on that until he finally was able to get a tv in there. I took pictures yesterday to show Tony what the house looked like, problem is I can't download them right now, since my computer is out of commission and his doesn't have a slot for the card, I'll have to buy something to be able to get the pictures downloaded. It's been many many years since we've seen so much snow before Christmas to boot, and it's not even winter yet.......lol.

mombaker wrote on Dec 17, '07
At last I'm able to catch up on what is happening. So glad Tony is doing better & will continue to do so, God willing. You be careful now & stay well & healthy so you are able to go see after him when you can. I'm receiving mail ok, but am still having problems with sending. Hope to get that taken care of in the next day or so. God Bless!

moezie wrote on Dec 17, '07
i hear your font lol about guilt mo but you have to be safe and well in order to help tony ... perhaps a radio may help with his boredom too??? keep on keeping on sweetie and don't mention the word snow ..... omg, i've never seen so much in all my life!!!!! xoxox

moscreations wrote on Dec 17, '07
Glad to hear you have power back Suz. I know how hard it is to be without for so long. I think Tony does understand, but doesn't make it any less difficult for him as he can't get around on his own - not yet anyway, hopefully soon!!
Oh my Barbara Bob made it downtown did he?? Must have been very quiet in the stores........lol. Man what a pile of snow we got. And the stupid contractor never came to clear our driveway, even after we took our cars out of it to let it free of cars for them to clear it. So Pat and I had to both plow our cars back into it tonight. I cleared a path in the back for Tara 3 times, have to do it again in the morning and Pat was clearing the front walk, what a day!!! Tony was way better off at the rehab today for sure. I don't know about tomorrow, I know NDG is very bad at snow clearing, so I hope it will be cleared by the afternoon, as I don't plan to go there in the morning.
Thanks Tara, I could use some warmth today :) though in the summer I shun it.........lol, I know what you mean about the dietitian, that's just what I thought too, I was really surprised to see that.

osuzana wrote on Dec 16, '07
Well, it sounds like at least he is doing better and it is good that he is in rehab which is less like a hospital. I hope you stay safe. You can't be there 24/7 and he understands that. I agree that a family run business should have been more attendant but everyone deals with things differently. It is good he is there if you are having lots of snow. We just had a dusting and it is gone today. At least we have our power back.

barbarab1313 wrote on Dec 16, '07
Hi Mo, It sure is coming down now. Bob has gone downtown (by bus) to do some shopping for kids for Christmas. We haven't even started. I am leaving for tai chi in about half hour wonder if I will make it ha ha.
Please don't feel guilty for wanting some alone time. You need to recharge your batteries. If you don't take care of yourself you will be no good to any one especially Tony.
It is only natural for Tony to feel down at times, he has been through a lot and I think it's a dam shame that the people from the company don't at least make a phone call to him. Some people are nervous in hospitals but a phone call should be the least they can do. or send a card or something.
There is so much time to think when you are confined to a hospital but thing seem to be looking up. It will take time and I am sure that day by day things will get better as they seem to be doing already.
So keep warm my friend and stay inside, I am thinking you probably won't be able to get out tomorrow as they don't seem to be cleaning the streets. Guess they are waiting for the snow to stop. (((HUGS)))

tarasutopia wrote on Dec 16, '07
Good Morning Mo,
I'm glad Tony is getting up and moving about. Tell him to keep up the good work and tell his arm to start working. I can't believe a dietitian would put white bread before whole grain. What sugar factory did she crawl out of?
I'll make a deal with you, you send some of that snow to Florida and I'll send you some warm sunshine. :) Try to stay warm and don't run yourself ragged. 





No comments: