Monday, September 03, 2012

Merry Christmas and more :)

Originally published on Multiply, December 23rd, 2007


OMG I couldn't believe I hadn't blogged in 7 days!!! I guess the days are running in to each other, some days are pretty much carbon copy as the others, and I suppose that is one reason I don't blog as much as before, and the other is that I'm tired and when I get home, I just crash and sit in front of the TV, watch a bit of it and fall asleep to awaken late in the night and make my way to bed. I the morning I try to get through the email, but some days there are just too many and I don't have the time to blog and my energy is drained by then.

But I did want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and hope that 2008 brings more joy, happiness and that it will be a healthier New Year. And for those who don't celebrate Christmas:



There isn't a whole lot to report about Tony right now, the physio-therapist had said that the plan for the next 2 weeks is to enable him to get up from the bed on his own to the wheelchair, and to do some other simple tasks on his own, such as putting the sling on his right arm by himself. It has to be put on every time he has to move from one place to another, so that it doesn't just dangle or hit something as he still cannot control movements on it.

Of course being the Holiday season, there is less therapy going on, none on Christmas day or boxing day, and the same for New Year's day and the next day. So he needs to do his own exercises on those days.

Yesterday was a busy day visitors wise, I had to go out and run some errands for him, for things he needed, while I was out his brother and sister-in-law came to visit, first time they had come since he moved there on December 10th. They stayed a couple of hours I think, lucky they were still there when I arrived because I needed help to bring some stuff upstairs. specially the bottled water I had bought at Walmart, a case of 24, plus other bags, a bit much on my own, so I would have had to make a few trips.

His boss came to visit also in the afternoon with his wife. It was also his first time visiting him since he was in the hospital. And Tony's sister and her hubby came around 6pm I think. She had brought some butter tarts and chocolate chip cookies, mmmmmmm :) Tony loves butter tarts, when he was young his mom used to make huge batches and freeze them, he would just go in the freezer and eat them frozen - there were no microwaves in those days......lol.

My cold finally caught up with me this week too. And on Friday night I only slept 2 hours, and those were sitting in the recliner "watching" tv. When I woke up, I went to bed and couldn't sleep a wink, so after 2 hours of tossing and turning, I finally got up and went downstairs to watch "General Hospital" which had been recorded since Tony was hospitalized but I hadn't seen them yet, I thought I would watch some and fall asleep, but no, sleep escaped me altogether and I watched all the episodes!!! I think the reason was that I had taken Benylin DM and that probably reacted like I was on speed of something and I couldn't sleep. I went through the day ok, but by 7pm I was really getting tired, so I left the rehab early, but his sister was still there, so he had company for a while longer. I came home, had a bowl of cereal (I hadn't had any supper) and took my night pills and went straight to bed. I was up around 3am to go to the bathroom and went back to sleep until about 6am, but only got up at 7am because Miss Tara wanted to be let out and be fed.....lol.....so I'm pretty well rested now.

On Christmas day the family will be coming to the center with all the food for Christmas dinner, we will be using the cafeteria, which is not being used at night anyway. Since they had a stove we will be able to reheat the food in there. my sister-in-law Ginette will be making the turkey ahead and bring it sliced with all the trimmings for a near traditional Christmas dinner. Tony was very happy to hear that, it will be nice to have everyone around.

2 of our nieces haven't seen him since he was hospitalized, so they will see a big change, because he's lost 20 lbs (9 KG) since he first went in the hospital. Me thinks his pants won't fit him anymore.....lol.....at the rehab they prefer if patients wear jogging pants as it is easier for them to get dressed and easier on the nurses and orderlies too.

His biggest problem right now is sitting in the wheelchair. Because he's sooooooooooo tall - so everyone keeps saying over there (he's 6 ft 2" - not a giant), and most people there are on the small side, they don't have a wheelchair deep enough or high enough to accommodate him, so they have to add cushions on the seat to sit him higher and he has an Obus form cushion on his back for more support, which sounds great, but that cushion also cuts off some part of the seat, so he can't sit there for long periods, as it cuts his circulation on his thighs and his back hurts, and they can't do anything about it! Short of getting a wheelchair made to measure, of course we DON'T want that, that would mean we are giving in to a life IN a wheelchair and he will be able to walk freely some days, but right now he needs help. But it WILL happen!! Nurses take him for his walk around the 3rd floor, yesterday we walked around twice, which was good. On Friday night he went on to walk 70 metres  (230 feet) but yesterday when I was there he wasn't quite as steady, and didn't walk quite as far. He just needs time and practice, and it will happen!

OK, enough rambling for now, I know that Pat is up now, she was in the shower, I'll have to take mine later because there won't be any hot water left...lol..but that's ok. I have to call Tony now, it's just after 8am, and then we'll get some breakfast and plan the day :)

Here's my Christmas wishes for you - I got this in an email from a friend :)

Today...I wish you a day of ordinary miracles-

A fresh pot of coffee you didn't have to make yourself.
An unexpected phone call from an old friend.
Green stoplights on your way to work or shop.

I wish you a day of little things to rejoice in...
The fastest line at the grocery store.
A good sing along song on the radio.
Your keys right where you look.

I wish you a day of happiness and perfection-little bite-size pieces of perfection that give you the funny feeling that the Lord is smiling on you, holding you so gently because you are someone special and rare.
I wish You a day of Peace, Happiness and Joy.

They say it takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them, but then an entire life to forget them.

Wishing you the very best for 2008


moscreations wrote on Dec 26, '07
Thank you Nancy and also thanks for your participation in the group, don't know when I'll be able to get back in there :) Hugs back to you

You're very welcome Barb, I took some pics and will upload these in the photos section :) Tony really enjoyed this but it did tire him too

Hi Les, thanks for the positive thinking sweetie. I keep telling him not to worry too much that he's not comfortable in that wheelchair, he won't be in it forever. Glad you liked the recipes :) I should add more when I have more time on my hands.......lol.........that's kind of lacking right now and no time to cook either...lol
Hugs back at ya :)

nanatimes8 wrote on Dec 25, '07
Merry Christmas Mo, may you and your family be blessed with great things to come!!! Think and pray for you and Tony all the time!! Huggers

barb5t wrote on Dec 25, '07
Merry Christmas Mo and everyone!
Thanks for the update Mo. Your get together should be fun. It's nice you can use the kitchen and all eat there. That kind of support should do Tony a world of good.

dreamyone wrote on Dec 24, '07
Mo he'll be out of that chair in no time.... mark my words I was in them too and I had to go through tons of rehab I would get so down thinking that was going to be life.. but somehow we cope and get stronger and so many are praying for the two of you that it can bring nothing but the positive out..
Hey listen before i get off here.... damn!!!.. nummy love the recipes ... I know I won't be able to make them soon but hopefully someday I'll try some of these as I love to cook anyway big hugs again and thanks also for the greeting you sent from the aston college god that was beautiful!!.
Now as for you don't over do and get better... You can't burn the candle at both ends of the wick.. so take care of your cough and stay strong love you!!!!.. Merry Merry hugs Les

moscreations wrote on Dec 23, '07
That was done last year Kanda, sadly my computer is still our of commission, and I don't have the time anyway to create tags, though I did have I think at least 3 that were done, but I can't access them to upload :(

moscreations wrote on Dec 23, '07
what pics Kanda???

kandaphati wrote on Dec 23, '07
Could not see some of the pics in b/w but no worries.

kandaphati wrote on Dec 23, '07
Very nice GIF, Mo. When did you make it? Not recently I hope!
Glad to know you and Tony and family are going to have a party!
I hope Tony gets rid of the wheelchair soon.
I hope the cold bug leaves all of you soon.
Happy party! Please take care!

moscreations wrote on Dec 23, '07
Thank you MOM, and I wish you the same, a Happy and Healthy New Year to you too. Hugs

Thanks Les, I hope YOU are also doing better soon and get rid of this trach. Merry Christmas dear Les. Hugs

You should have heard us today Barbara.....lol...both coughing our heads off - I would say that Pat must be coughing up a lung.......lol. Thanks for the good wishes and I hope you and Bob have a great Christmas too. It will be nice to have everyone together at Christmas. Hugs

Thanks Suz and I wish you a very Merry Christmas too! I could use some calm next year :)

osuzana wrote on Dec 23, '07
Sounds like you have all your ducks in a row. I'm glad everyone is going to eat together. Merry Christmas Mo. Hoping you have peace and a calm new year.

barbarab1313 wrote on Dec 23, '07
Hope that nasty cold leaves you soon. Glad that Tony will be having his Christmas dinner with his family even if it is in rehab.
I wish you all the best in 2008, health wise especially for you and Tony.
Have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(((HUGS)))

dreamyone wrote on Dec 23, '07
Merry Christmas Mo, I'm so happy to hear that Tony is doing so much better, but sorry to hear that you've had problems sleeping and also having a cold to boot.. no fun!.. I hope you'll get better soon.
Just wanted to pop in and see how Tony was doing and also check on you and wish you the very best... I will keep praying for you both... big hugs Leslie

mombaker wrote on Dec 23, '07
Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas & a very Happy New Year. God Bless, MOM


No comments: