Wednesday, September 05, 2012

One bad day and one good day!

Originally published on Multiply, December 26th, 2007


Christmas Eve certainly didn't turn out as we would have wanted it to be. Starting in the morning, Tony had a fairly heavy nosebleed, and as the day progressed, he kept getting more nosebleed, with a total of 4 by evening. By that time, the nurses decided it would be time they send him to the hospital to get it checked out. So they called in an ambulance and took Tony back to the Lakeshore General, where he was before. He went in through the emergency and was seen right away, however, by the time we got there, the bleeding had stopped (of course!!!) and all the doctor did was take some blood samples and checked periodically if he was bleeding again, he then decided there was nothing he could do, and sent us back to the rehab.

The nurses at the rehab had packed his nose with something (I forget the name) which when wet will expand, thus preventing the blood from coming through the nostril. The doctor at the hospital didn't want to take it out for fear the bleeding would start again - the nurses had sent him there in the first place thinking the doctor would cauterize the nose, but when I asked the doctor if he would do that he said no, for the reason explained before. So they called a Medicar to take him back to the rehab, it took about 1-1/2 hours for one to come and get him, but finally they did and he got back at around 10pm.

Of course by then, they had to hook him up to the Vankomycin drip for 2 hours!!! Needless to say he didn't get a very good night sleep that night.

The good news is that finally, he is no longer on any antibiotics, intravenously or by mouth!!!!! That was the biggest Christmas gift he could get from them.

But that didn't stop the bleeding. Even tonight he had another one, and he had some on Christmas day too and this morning. We don't know what is causing it and what will or can be done about this.

I hope that now that he's no longer on any antibiotics and if they can get his blood's INR levelled off to where it should be, then maybe all this bleeding will stop. So again I would really appreciate more prayers :)

And now on to the good day. Christmas day was a much better day - for one thing he was free of the IV and antibiotic that was causing all the havoc with the INR. And also because the whole family came over to the rehab bearing all food and staples for a Christmas celebration just like it would be if it was held at the regular venue, which is usually at his brother's Jim & Ginette's place.

They really went all out, bringing all the  appetizers, like shrimps & dip, patés, cheese with crackers and bread. Turkey, mashed potatoes and green beans and desserts galore, not to mention wine. Tony had only a tiny amount of wine, just enough to make a toast. It was a wonderful evening.

What really helped in getting all this set up is that the rehab center has a full stove, fridge and microwave that we could use to get things done, I shouldn't say "we" as I didn't have a thing to do with any of the preparations or even with the cleanup of it all. The family did it all and they were wonderful about it. They even bought a few presents for Tony. It really did make his day.

By 8pm though he was really tired and I took him back to his room to get him ready for bed. A few of the family members came up to say goodnight and I had to quiet them down as the other patients were all in bed and the lights were out..........lol. But I guess they were still in a celebrating mood :)

I also forgot to mention that our neighbours on the right hand side of us came to visit Tony as well, I was so surprised that my first reaction was to say to them "what are you doing here".....lol, and she says, we're visiting.....lol, I felt like an idiot....lol. I had left a Post-It Note on the door of his room so that if other member of the family were going there first, they would know where to find us, so it was lucky I had done that. Tony was really touched by their visit.

Hope you all had a great Christmas! Here is a pic of Tony that night, it's the first pic I took that evening. He is wearing a sling to protect his arm.




moscreations wrote on Jan 3, '08
Yeah, you had it rough for sure, and you're not out of the woods yet, and I hope you will soon be rid of that trach and be well again.
His brother Jim called me today to tell me he was relieving me of my duties today and to stay home and rest. When I phoned Tony with the news he was crestfallen, so disappointed that I probably will end up going even if not for the same duration. He sounded like a little boy lost. He was so looking forward to seeing me. Hugs
Mo

dreamyone wrote on Jan 3, '08
Poor Tony , I can so relate to him because of all that time I was in the hospital when this stuff happened to me, I was so down like tony, Thought i'd never get out of that place, it's coming up to that time last year when it all happened.. and it sort of gives me the creeps thinking about it.. Anyway.. It will be so good when Tony can go home again, I'm so praying for him and for that day to be soon for the both of you. I hope you had a nice "New Years". Well just checking up on ya and saying hi. Sending you both a Happy New Years Hug hope it brings with it luck, happiness and joy..Luv ya friend :0) Leslie

moscreations wrote on Jan 2, '08
He has good days and bad days Les. Today he was very lonely and a bit depressed. Because on week-ends and holidays, there is no therapy, and not many people around, so he finds it very long when I'm not around. He gets very bored and has no interest in much of anything, he doesn't have a very good attention span right now. But I am buying him a laptop, just ordered it now from Dell, and hopefully with that, he'll be able to entertain himself a little bit when I'm not around. He is lucky that I don't work and I can be there much more than I could be if I held a job. I don't know what he would do if I did work. Thanks for the prayers sweetie, and I do the same for you, I know how rough it's been for you too. Hugs, Mo.

dreamyone wrote on Jan 2, '08
He looks so sweet and so happy in his picture, Hard to believe its the same person going through all that bad stuff.. But it just shows he's getting better and he's gonna make it and it's all due to his strong and beautiful wife who has stood by his side though the thick and the thin of it. Boy what a lucky fellow Tony is to have you. Love and my continued prayers to the both of you , May this new year bring health and nothing but happiness to you both., Love you guys!!!! Les

moscreations wrote on Jan 2, '08
Thank you Donna for the continued prayers. Unfortunately, the arm is pretty much nil right now, the OT works with the arm, while the PT works with the leg. The leg is doing pretty good, there is definite improvement there, but the arm is not showing much if any progress. They are not hopeful that movement will come back, but I pray that he will defy all odds and get it moving. But right now it's just not happening. I wish you a very Happy and Healthy New year as well.
Hugs
Mo

dkbtimbo51 wrote on Jan 1, '08
Monique, Tony may have a long recovery yes, but as long as there is improvement on a daily bases then all is well. I, am, so happy to hear the nose bleeds have stopped. This too is a good sign. You are truly blessed with such a handsome man and a fighter. I know with time he will beat this and hopefully he will be home with you, where he belongs. Keep the faith because with all of us praying he will keep making progress. The power of prayer is amazing. How is his PT going? Has he regained any movement in his one arm? I sure hope so. Even the slightest would be a God send. I hope you and Tony have a healthy, prosperous, and happy New Year. God bless you both. Love n' hugs, Donna

moscreations wrote on Jan 1, '08
Thank you Jules. The bleeding is more likely caused by the high does of Coumadin he had to take to counteract the other medication he was taking at the time, but it seems to have stabilized, so I'm happy about that. Thanks for the prayers, we sure need them!
Big hugs
Mo

hooverchild wrote on Dec 31, '07
Mo, I am so glad that your Christmas went well. (Besides the bleeding). I do hope that they can figure out why that is happening to Tony. Sweetie, you and Tony have my continued prayers. ((((((((((((((Mo))))))))))))))

moscreations wrote on Dec 31, '07
"Soon" is a long time away Les, but I can't wait for that moment :)
But he is doing better, a little every day :)

dreamyone wrote on Dec 30, '07
Oh good I'm so happy to hear that the bleeding has stopped.. Hopefully he'll now get to the finish line and come home with you soon.. Thinking of you hugs
Les

moscreations wrote on Dec 30, '07, edited on Dec 30, '07

Thanks Mindy. We did have a great Christmas dinner with the family, and they will do it again this New Year's day.

Thanks so much for caring and for your prayers, it means a lot to me.
Hoping that 2008 brings you lots of joy, health and happiness
Hugs
Mo

shepaintsthestars wrote on Dec 29, '07

Dear Mo...
Just stopping by to check on you and your husband, Tony. I was hoping that you both had a Blessed Christmas and from what I just read from your blog, it seems you had a wonderful day.

I hope you and Tony are doing well tonight. The New year has to bring some great news about Tony's health.

Please take care of you too Mo...It is easy to be so caring about other people that you get lost in the shuffle. God Bless You....I am thinking about and praying for you and Tony.

moscreations wrote on Dec 29, '07
Thanks Kori, it is a busy time of year, so I quite understand :)
The family will be doing it all over again for New Year's Day :)
Sure hope this next year will be a better one, not just for us, but for everyone!
Hugs
Mo

moscreations wrote on Dec 29, '07
Thanks Leslie, though I didn't make the theme - just no time for that these days, I thought it was a cute one and fitting for New Year and winter and all, I was getting tired of the old one.......lol
The bleeding finally stopped, keeping fingers crossed it stays that way.
Hugs back to you dear friend

dreamyone wrote on Dec 29, '07
moscreations said
Yes Kanda in one of the picture you can actually see the stuff they put in his nose, it was sticking out of the nostril and did have blood on it, I couldn't do anything about that, and didn't bother to "fix" the picture :)
Thanks Les, he is on blood thinners, but then again he's been on those since his operation back in 1995, but now since his stroke and when they discovered he had MRSA he was on antibiotics that was affecting the Coumadin and they had to give him the highest dose, which is 20mg, now that those are finished with, they have to work on getting his INR back to where it belongs, but on Christmas it was still only at 1.8 where it should be between 2.5 and 3.5, and that means his blood is too thick, but maybe the high does still contributes to the bleeds, he can't breathe properly with the stuffing in there, I was just talking to him and it's really bothering him. I don't know what they'll do. Whenever they do take it out, he gets a bleed eventually!.
Thanks Moe, it certainly made Tony's day and mine too :)
First off Mo I have to tell you I'm in love with this background and theme you have here this is too cute for words. Anyway just checking in to see how Tony and you are doing..I feel so bad for him that he's got to have that stuffing in there I can't even imagine what that must feel like.
big hugs hope today will be a better one up there

bubbly94 wrote on Dec 29, '07
Mo,

Wanted to check and see how you and Tony were doing. I've been so busy and I kept remembering when I wasn't at the computer, then forgetting to stop by when I was on the computer! So glad to see he is getting better! I was afraid the news would be worse. It sounds like you had a very touching Christmas, I hope your New Years goes even better!!

Hugs,
Kori

moscreations wrote on Dec 27, '07
Thank you Donna. Christmas was really great to be all together again, and on New Year's day they will do it all over again :) I hadn't expected they would do it again so soon, but that is the tradition in the family.

Yes he does look good close up Barbara and Suz, you can't tell he had a stroke, we are very grateful that things are going well for him. I am pretty tired, but since I don't go in the morning anymore, I can catch up on some sleep in the late morning, or at least I try to :) unless I have to run errands.

He did the right thing to get the care he needed Leanne :) they still don't know - or can't really confirm what is causing the bleeds, but one has to think it's the Coumadin, but his INR is still not right, so his blood is actually too thick, so I really don't know if that is the problem.

mustlovepugs wrote on Dec 27, '07
Reminds me of when I was just a girl and my stepdad had a nose bleed that wouldn't quit. He was at the emergency room on some Air Force base we were at and they told him to take a seat and wait to see a Dr. Dad said he was bleeding profusely and wanted a Dr. right now! She told him again to wait and he took the rags away from his nose and, sure enough, bled profusely all over their nice clean floor. She got him a Dr. immediately. Don't recall why the bleed, but sure sounds like the meds are culprits for Tony, like Les was saying. Sure hope all is under control again, soon, and he's free just to work on therapy and get on home to you and little Tara.

osuzana wrote on Dec 27, '07
I'm glad everything went so well and he had family around him. He really looks good mos. Doesn't look like there is anything wrong with him.

barbarab1313 wrote on Dec 27, '07
Tony looks really good despite everything. Glad the Christmas party went well but you must be runned ragged. I hope you get some rest.
You and Tony are always in my prayers. (((HUGS)))

dkbtimbo51 wrote on Dec 27, '07
Hi Monique. Sorry to hear about the nose bleeds. I do hope they can find the cause. Happy to hear Tony had a good Christmas and yourself. So nice that he was surrounded by family and friends, and you. Keeping him in my daily prayers. Love n hugs, Donna

moscreations wrote on Dec 27, '07
Yes Kanda in one of the picture you can actually see the stuff they put in his nose, it was sticking out of the nostril and did have blood on it, I couldn't do anything about that, and didn't bother to "fix" the picture :)
Thanks Les, he is on blood thinners, but then again he's been on those since his operation back in 1995, but now since his stroke and when they discovered he had MRSA he was on antibiotics that was affecting the Coumadin and they had to give him the highest dose, which is 20mg, now that those are finished with, they have to work on getting his INR back to where it belongs, but on Christmas it was still only at 1.8 where it should be between 2.5 and 3.5, and that means his blood is too thick, but maybe the high does still contributes to the bleeds, he can't breathe properly with the stuffing in there, I was just talking to him and it's really bothering him. I don't know what they'll do. Whenever they do take it out, he gets a bleed eventually!.
Thanks Moe, it certainly made Tony's day and mine too :)

moezie wrote on Dec 27, '07
oh mo i'm so happy xmas day was so wonderful for you and tony ((((((hugs)))))) xoxox

dreamyone wrote on Dec 27, '07
I wonder Mo, if they are giving him blood thinners to prevent clots and and if that has something to do with the nose bleeds.. I remember long ago when my mother was in the hospital with Cancer they gave her blood thinner to prevent clots in her legs and such and that of course made it so her blood would not coagulant as well, so she then had terrible nose bleeds. However with her they did end up cauterize her, which believe me was extremely painful. Anyway so glad that Tony's bleeding got under control and that he was able to have a wonderful Christmas dinner with you and your family and friends. Sounds like you had a heavenly menu of great tasting goodies.. thanks for the photos I've been really enjoying them

kandaphati wrote on Dec 26, '07
I was wondering earlier what it was on Tony's nose. Hope the bleeding does not happen often. Thanks so much for posting the pics. It was good to hear from you with great details. Will miss you (from tomorrow afternoon~).




No comments: