Monday, September 03, 2012

Whirlwind days!!!

Originally published on Multiply, December 11th, 2007


What a difference a day makes - or 2!!

If you recall in my last blog I said that the move to the rehab center was cancelled on Monday, so I took my time to make my way to the hospital, I rested some before leaving. I got there around 10am or so, disappointed of course, and was talking with some nurses and the doctor came to see us too. She said that the doctor who was covering for her on the week-end reduced the dose instead of increasing it, and that was why the INR had dropped, she had left instructions to increase it, but I guess the other doctor didn't deem it necessary to listen or just didn't read the instructions (she's a cold fish that one too, so no surprise there).

It turned out that our doctor decided to give Tony 20mg of Coumadin right away in the morning and to approve the move anyway, even if the level was not known immediately, so the transport was called to move him ASAP. They showed up at noon - just as dinner was about to be served. So Tony had to forgo the lunch in order to get to rehab. Once we got to the rehab, at first the guard didn't know about the arrival, the name was not on his list, so they didn't know what to do with Tony, eventually someone showed him something on the computer and he was finally brought to his room. It's nothing extravagant! But it is a single, so he has his privacy, then a bunch of people showed up to check him out.

There were some confusion as to what his diet was supposed to be like. He had just been changed to a soft diet, and in their records they had him as being on a cold puréed diet - that was what he was on while in ICU just coming out of the critical phase of his stroke! I tell you, these people at the hospital aren't that good at keeping records!!! Anyway, that was straightened out, and they brought him lunch of what was available at the cafeteria, which was meatballs with something akin to a spaghetti sauce, without the pasta, mashed potatoes, vegetable (I forget what it was) and a cake for dessert. He had no problem with that, so the diet was set. He was able to choose his likes and dislikes, so they can give him what he likes.

The nurse in charge showed me around the place too, they have a kitchen area that patients and family members can use, as well as the staff. There is a large fridge for patients/families only, a stove, microwave, toaster, it's very well set up.

They also have a lounge with a communal TV and several comfortable chairs, there are books and magazines available too and there is even a computer that patients can use if they wish, though I haven't seen anyone use it.

The OT and physio-therapist came as well to see how he was and to set the schedule for him. There is a board on the wall across from the nurses station, and patients names are there with the times for each sessions they have every day, so they can check if they forget, though someone does come to get them in the room, I guess if you can walk on your own you can get there yourself, but they have set Tony up with a wheelchair to get around. He is having a hard time with that, because he is tall - everyone we meet keep saying "you're so tall"........lol........he's 6 ft 2 inches - not THAT tall, he's not a giant......lol.......but most people there are of average or less height, so to them he is a giant....lol. So he is not very comfortable in the wheelchair, the lady in charge of that is trying to make it as comfortable as possible, and I hope she can find a solution.Of course the best solution is to get him walking thus he wouldn't need a wheelchair at all.

There is no bathroom in any room, patients have to use common bathrooms (toilets only, and only closed with a curtain) they do have a sink in each room. There is no luxury in the accomadations.....lol.......the chairs are not very comfortable, but I'm still happy he's there. The staff is great, so very helpful, it's such a contrast to what you get in the hospitals. Everyone is pleasant, and you don't wait 1/2 hour for them to respond when you ring the bell.

This morning he had Occupational Therapy at 8:45 - and he was apprehensive, so he wanted me to be there for that, as neither of us knew what that entailed. I got there late, due to traffic, but what it was ok, the OT was watching him do his morning routine, wash, brush his teeth, dress etc. So that they could assess him. At 1PM he had physio therapy, and for 1/2 hour he had to go through, with my help, how he got the stroke, what led to it etc. Then they did some of the therapy, but mainly to assess his mobility. It was also at that point that the one in charge of equipment changed his wheelchair and how it was set up, but it's still not quite up to snuff - at least not to his comfort.

So today was a very busy day for Tony, and he didn't get a chance to have a nap until around 4pm, until supper time. It's too bad because they had entertainment in the lounge this afternoon, they had a woman singing and playing guitar, she was very good and apparently she comes in once a month. Tomorrow they have 1 hour of bingo from 3:30 until 4:30 and Thursday they have something else going on, it said music on the chart, so I assume someone else will come in to sing for the patients.

Tomorrow he has physio at 9:45am and OT at 1pm. At first they were telling me that I shouldn't be here all day like I was, and to come in later in the day, and almost in the same breath they ask if I'll be there for the physio in the morning.....lol....so I'll be there tomorrow, but not sure of the other days. I certainly would welcome the break, but still would worry how he would manage on his own!!

I was supposed to take Tara to the groomer tomorrow, so I will have to postpone that, and Thursday I have to go for my own blood test - hope it will be ok by now!!

So, there we are, finally at rehab, and now I hope that things will move along good. They are pretty impressed at his strength, so hopefully that will play in his favour - let's hope the arm and hand follow suit to the leg!!

Thank you all for the prayers and continued support. Have a great day tomorrow!





moscreations wrote on Apr 11, '08
Sorry Mary Kay, I'm not on here much and when I am, it's just long enough to check mail.
Tony has been home since Feb. 20th, and since then I haven't had much time to do any blogging. It's a long road ahead, he took a tumble a month ago, so it delayed him starting the physio as an out-patient, but he will start again on Monday. Thanks so much for checking up on us, I appreciate it and always welcome the prayers.
Hugs
Mo

mkinwa wrote on Apr 11, '08
WHERE ARE YOU???
I haven't heard for so long.
I pray things are going well.
Love,
MaryKaye

moscreations wrote on Dec 21, '07
Hi Jules, nice to see you here too hun :)
Tony is having baby steps, the arm is still the biggest problem, but OT is working on that, and PT is working on the leg, hopefully with these 2, we'll get through this. Of course being the Holiday season, therapy will not be so intensive in the next 2 weeks, so he'll have to work at it on his own with the exercises they give him :) Thanks for the prayers sweetie, Hugs, Mo

hooverchild wrote on Dec 20, '07
Mo,
I am so very grateful and happy that Tony is finally at the Rehab!! WooooHooo!! It was a long haul to get him there, but now the miracles can begin! Tony is such a strong headed person, that I have no doubt that he will improve his arm and leg, by leaps and bounds!! Prayers are still continuing, hun, and I am so glad that you will be able to take a little break now and then. I was getting worried about you getting burned out, sweetie. ((((((((((((((Monique))))))))))).
Take care, and again, the healing prayers are continuing.

Hugs, Jules

moscreations wrote on Dec 17, '07
Thanks Leslie, for sure it will take a long time. Wish he could be home for Christmas, but I know that ain't happenin'!!!! So we'll have to make the best of it. You take care sweetie and hope you'll have a good Christmas!

dreamyone wrote on Dec 16, '07
Mo,
Its so good to hear that Tony is doing better and I pray for him to continue to get stronger every day.
Its just such a shame the hospitals are so screwed up...but I can promise you it's know difference here in the states (I hate going to the hospital and fear them) So it will so nice when your Tony can get out of there completely and go home. Sounds like hes in a nice place right now especially nice they have entertainment to keep the spirits up!... anyway thinking of you big hugs Leslie

moscreations wrote on Dec 15, '07
My goodness I haven't been on here all week it seems, so sorry for not responding or posting a new blog yet. I've been up a while, but was doing banking stuff :) I used to let Tony handle all that, now it's up to me :) and I'm sitting here freezing my butt off too, it's supposed to be 21C in the house but feels a lot colder - it's -22C outside. guess that's why......lol
There are pluses and minuses at the rehab, but all in all, it's going well, hopefully I'll be able to blog about it soon
Thank you all for your prayers and kind comments. Take care and stay warm if you're in our corner of the hemisphere :)

mustlovepugs wrote on Dec 14, '07
Sounds like the left hand not knowing what the right was doing, but glad they straightened it all out and he's in and ready to start. Nice to have those creature comforts for family/friends and that the staff is so readily available. All this is just wonderful and looking forward to hearing more great news as Tony progresses. Give him my love and tell him I'm rooting for him! You too, Mo! Got to get to work. You take care, hon.

moezie wrote on Dec 14, '07
i'm so happy to read this xoxox

mkinwa wrote on Dec 12, '07
What wonderful news!

kandaphati wrote on Dec 12, '07
Glad to read this after my busy day! More good news, please, LOL...!!! Now please remember to pamper yourself... AND rest.

barb5t wrote on Dec 12, '07
Oh good! I hope Tony can get comfortable with his wheelchair and the new surroundings. I'm very glad you can have more time for yourself early in the day. (((((MO))))) The prayers continue. I hope rehab goes well.

barbarab1313 wrote on Dec 11, '07
(((HUGS))) Things are looking up.


No comments: