Sunday, August 26, 2012

About me - back in 2007

Here is a post I published on Multiply on August 13th 2007

I know this is all old news now, but I wanted to keep the information, if only for my own recollection.
So here it is!



Just thought I would copy and paste the blog I entered on Yahoo 360! So that those who are only here can see it :)

This is the first time I even come close to a computer in over a week. In addition to my computer being down - I FELL down last week-end.

I was coming down the stairs from the upper floor, in total darkness to get something on the main floor. As I got to, what I thought was the landing, and reached for the light switch, I hit the landing hard on my right foot from 2 steps above the landing, and twisted my right knee and my body turned 180 degrees and my back hit the wall HARD and I heard a crack - I thought I had broken some ribs at that point.

It was 2am, and I didn't want to go to the ER at that time of the morning (big mistake) so I stayed in the living room, sleeping in a recliner, with ice on my back. Didn't sleep that much though. By the morning my knee was really hurting and so was my back - big time. So after we had breakfast, we made our way to the hospital.

Saw the triage nurse and then we waited to be seen by a doctor, we got to the hospital at 10:15am. By the afternoon, it was abundantly clear that no doctor was seeing ANYBODY in the ER, until the new shift, which was 4pm. So, I sat in a wheelchair, with hubby by my side, from that time, until about 6:30pm, then we saw a doctor, who said the obvious, we need to take some ex-rays - DUH!!

So, off we went to the radiology department, when I get there, the technician is about to start with me, when he gets a call from the ER, he is needed there right away, so I have to wait until he returns. Luckily it didn't take too long for him to start on the x-rays.

He took TONS of them, from every angle possible, at one point he says you need to lie down on your tummy - not on your life buddy.....lol......there was no way this was happening, so he figured out another way to take that particular x-ray of my knee.

After that they brought the x-rays to the doctor and we had to return to the waiting room once again and wait to be called by the doctor with the results. Finally got that call around 7:30pm.
Remember that we got there at 10:25am....lol.......NOW it's almost funny, but at the time we weren't laughing, specially that we were starving, never daring to leave the waiting room to get decent food (as if that ever happens in hospitals...lol) just in case they called my name.

The doctor said there was nothing broken, the knee wasn't as damaged as first thought. Because I have phlebitis, am on blood thinner etc, he couldn't put the knee in a splint, so he said to bandage it and for 2 days to keep it iced and after that to switch to heat and then exercise it. Which I am doing as best I can, since I can't lie down (like he was saying) I have to do that while I sit. As for my back he said to use whatever feels best for me, I have used heat mostly, yesterday we tried to put an ice pack, but that made it worse. He said the back would take 5 weeks to get better. He also said I have a compressed disc, and wasn't sure if this was a pre-existing condition, but I don't think it is. So hopefully that can be fixed!

I am going to see him this coming Friday, then I'll see what he says. It is feeling a bit better, but I still can't sleep in my bed, because when I try to lie down on my right side, it pulls on my back and hurts like hell.

It is my right knee that is hurting and my left side in my back, so opposite sides, it makes it difficult to do stuff, thankfully, hubby and my girlfriend who is staying with us are both helping.

She works at a company that sells medical equipment etc, so I go a great cane from them this week, at a very low cost (cost + 10%). I need the cane to get around.

So I am sorry if I haven't replied to any messages or comment, and won't be here for another little while. It is quite boring not being able to do anything here. My computer is of course still not fixed, and I don't know when it will be functional, no time right now.

Just wanted to let you all know why I am not around and not responding to anyone.

Wishing you all a great week :)

p.s. I have a computer tech guy here right now trying to fix this stupid ole puter. And when I say ole, I really mean nearly new, only 15 months!!! Unbelievable the problems we've had with that thing!!!


ADDENDUM: August 26th, 2012

Lucky for me, by now I got a laptop! A second one even as I had so man y problems with the first one that Dell took it back and gave me a new one!!!!

No comments: