Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Playing catch-up

Originaly published on Multiply, November 20th, 2007



Well, here we are 2 days later, and a few more news.

First of all, Tony was moved for a regular floor on Sunday night around 7pm. He is in an isolation room, because of the Staphylocaucus bug he's got, that means he gets to have a private room, of course as soon as that is cured, then he moves to another room, whatever is available!!

Since he moved back to the 4 West section, he asked me if I would stay with him overnight. So for the past 2 nights I stayed over and was able to look after him, or at least oversee what was happening during the night. He doesn't sleep very well, and last night he had bad spasms in in right leg, I don't know whether that is good or bad. But I have to say I am totally exhausted after these 2 days, and not only those, the last week has been very stressful and that won't stop anytime soon.

Yesterday we finally saw a doctor, a new cardiologist, who said that it was no longer a heart problem, but more of a medical one, and that the case would be turned over to another doctor, and we finally saw her this afternoon.

I had been calling and calling the physio therapy department, only to be told that they were short of personnel, different rotations etc etc etc in other words, I'm being given the run around. When we saw this new doctor, Dr. Serban, she said she had the exact same frustrations, she had called trying to get the same thing and also was unsuccessful, and she said I should complain about it to the 5th floor, gave me the name of a doctor, but when I went there, she wasn't there and I was directed to another office that is the one for Local Services Quality  and Complaints Commissioner.

She was on the phone when I got there, and I waited until she was done, then I walked in and said can I impose on you to complain about something. I told her about the whole thing, from the minute we arrived at the hospital on November 3rd (for the bleeding) until today. My main concern of course was that of the physiotherapy which is just not happening when it should be. She knows of the difficulties, which they always say is that surgical patients have the priority, but all the same that doesn't mean that a patient with a stroke is no less important, because it was too late in the day she couldn't do anything today, but tomorrow she will contact them and see what will happen. She will then proceed with the formal complaint and I will eventually get a letter here confirming this - what will be done of it. I'm not 100% sure, but as long as it gets things moving that's what counts.

He hadn't been receiving any physio for nearly 5 days now, well tomorrow will be 5 days, that is simply not acceptable. In order to get him moved to a rehabilitation facility, he has to be followed by the hospital's therapist who in turn will make the recommendation that he be moved to one of the rehab centers, and I sure hope that gets moving quickly.

Yesterday when we saw the cardiologist I was asking him how long it would be for the virus to be cured and he said 4-6 weeks!!! I was totally dumbfounded and couldn't believe it would be this long, and today when I asked Dr. Serban, she said 4-5 days!!! What a difference a day makes or a doctor makes!!! Whom can you trust these days!

Last night when Tony had his leg spasms, a nurse came to the room and said she would get him something, she came back with Gravol, to help him sleep and a Tylenol, which actually looked different, I think it was an Atasol, so I questioned what it was, and she said it was Tylenol, I told her he was NOT allowed to have that, what the hell is wrong with these people. His chart clearly shows in large block letters not to give him any, the reason being that it would mask the result of the blood work regarding the virus and we can't have that. It's a darned good thing I was there - that was in the middle of the night. I hope nothing like this will happen tonight. I pray he will have a restful night.

Another development is that I'm working on getting Power of Attorney - something I really hate having to do, but we have to be realistic, since he cannot write at this point, I have no choice but to do this, and bless his heart he doesn't resent it and completely understand, which another reason whey I'm at the computer tonight as I had to get a letter printed so that we can get it stamped by the commissioner and then the notary will be coming over in the afternoon and the whole thing will be legalized, and I won't have to go to court. I always relied so much on Tony to handle all the affairs and now I have to take over, which is going to be another burden, but I must do it, just like I have to help him physically to get back to normal, or as normal as he can be. I can't wait for him to get to rehab.

I sure hope he'll be able to be home for Christmas, that is the ONLY thing I want for Christmas, and I pray that it will happen. Seeing that we have stairs to get in to the house and have stairs going up to the bedrooms and the basement, it is primordial that he be able to walk in order to come home. We might just have to sell the house, a prospect that I just don't even want to think about, we have so much stuff, that it just boggles my mind and wouldn't know where to start.

I am so glad that I have my friend Pat with us, she is a source of comfort right now, even if she doesn't know it. I rely on her to look after our dog Tara, so I don't need to worry about that or any more mundane things, such as taking out the trash or the recyclables to the curb, to the more physical things she has done for us, like raking all the leaves and cutting down the shrubs and digging out the annuals, something that is totally foreign to her, since she always lived in an apartment.

I guess that is about it for now. Please keep him in your prayers and thanks to everyone who comments in my blog entries with your words of encouragement and your support, it is most appreciated.


barbarab1313 wrote on Nov 20, '07
What a run around you have been getting. It's bad enough to be in hospital but it shouldn't be your job to make sure Tony isn't given the wrong medication. I am glad you made a formal complaint I just hope they get the ball rolling 5 days is totally unacceptable with no therapy. You must be exhausted I hope you will be able to get some rest. You are both as always in my thoughts and prayers. HUGS

osuzana wrote on Nov 21, '07
I pray you get that too and it always astounds me that nurses don't read the charts when they give meds. If mine is in there I have to be there the whole time just to be sure he doesn't get any dye for tests because his meds with that can cause death. So I don't trust anyone either. He was there for a week when he got staff infection and that was horrible. I am thinking about you. My mom decided to give me power of attorney when she was in the hospital last time because she knew she was out of it. It is a necessary thing, although it may not be needed it is a good thing.

mistyshadows2u wrote on Nov 21, '07
Man MO you guys sure have been having a go of it. Keeping you both in my prayers.

kandaphati wrote on Nov 21, '07
Awww...
Mo, make sure to stretch those joints that Tony moves little so as to prevent stiffness. Do that often... It helps.
My thoughts are with you. Hope things turn out as you wish. Remember to take good care of yourself. Thanks for keeping us updated.

barb5t wrote on Nov 22, '07
Hi Mo,
I decided I better join this site so it's easier to send you hugs.
(((((MO)))))
I just caught up on all the happenings tonight. It sounds beyond frustrating. Do keep the hope. I know good things will happen. Tony has you on his side. Try to take care of yourself. You both have my continued prayers.
Hugs, 

mombaker wrote on Nov 22, '07
Thinking of you & praying all gets well sooner on this our U.S. Thanksgiving Day. LeAnne cooked up enough to keep us eating for days to come. Sweet potatoe pie is cooling at this very moment. Loving you both & God Bless!

moscreations wrote on Nov 22, '07
Hi everybody, thank you so much for your kind words of support and prayers, it means a lot to me.
Nice to see you here Barb, it is very frustrating that you have to keep bugging people to get things done.
Thank you Kanda, yes I do exercise him and he even does some of it himself now :)
Thanks Misty, I just hope he gets through this and hoping he might be home for Christmas, but at this stage, it's too early to tell
Thanks Moe, I got a visit today from the person I saw with my complaint, she was following up at the desk, checking the chart and came to see me after, I'm so glad I did this. But it shouldn't be necessary to have to do this, it really ticks me off.
Holy cow Suz, that's dangerous. There are so few nurses that I can say I actually trust, it's damn scary. Tony still had the staph infection, and I don't know when he'll be over that, though he doesn't seem to suffer from that, at least not outwardly, maybe because it's in his blood.

moscreations wrote on Nov 22, '07
Thanks MOM, I forgot to wish all my American friends a very Happy Thanksgiving, being away from the house for nearly 14 hours a day, I have forgotten this.
Don't eat too much now :)



No comments: