Tuesday, August 28, 2012

More news on Tony - mixed feelings

Originally published on Multiply November 16th, 2007


It's only a mixed feelings because last night, after he called me, he never got back to sleep, he was awake all night, probably did drift off now and again, but for the most part he was awake. They crushed some sleeping pills I think he said, but they were not effective, because they are not supposed to be crushed as they are slow released medicine, so it didn't help. He is now able to swallow some small pills, and those are small. I found that out when I called him this morning, I figured, since he called me the first time, I should be able to get news directly from him, rather than ask the nurse about him :)

Today was a very tiring day for him, and the speech therapist showed up as he was starting his lunch and because he was eating she went to see another patient and was going to come back, but the nurse (bless her heart) said, he was too tired to do this today, and he shouldn't push himself like that, he needs his rest, so she told the therapist to come back next week instead, the problem is that she only does this twice a week, so there's a big gap in the therapy. I have to see if I can find something on the internet about that to help him out.

This afternoon, the nurse set him up in his bed, turned off all the lights, pulled the curtain and closed the glass door in the hope he would sleep. I went home to phone the insurance company and also to run some errands for him...........lol...........when I came back around 4:15, he said he had only slept an hour :( but tonight he WILL get his sleeping pill so I hope he will have a goodnight sleep.

Tonight he had visits from his sister and brother with their spouse, so that was nice. Oh yes, and this morning my niece Anna, who works at the Jewish General, also stopped by on her way home after her shift, she is so very uplifting and Tony always enjoys her visits, she makes him smile, and he also makes her laugh.

I was exercising Tony's arm and leg tonight and after I stopped, he actually moved his leg - on his own, he raised it about 6 inches, I was so happy to see that, Carole, his sister was there as a witness.....lol......it wasn't a reflex, he really did move it, I was so glad to see that, he's really trying and he will get through this - we must stay positive (even though, by nature I am a pessimist.....lol).

He is still in the ICU, he was supposed to be transferred to a room on a regular floor, 2 days ago, but they are still waiting for a bed in an isolation room, they are so short of beds it's not funny, and it's not only this hospital. Anna was saying this morning that even in the maternity ward where she works at the Jewish. they have the same problems, beds in the lounges etc, and they even had to refuse a patient that someone on another floor because they had no room at all, it's a very sad state of affair!!!

I left around 9:15 tonight, came home and watched a bit of tv, and came down here to do my mail and get this blog posted.

Thanks again for all the prayers I really appreciate it and am certain that is the reason why Tony is doing better - now if we can only get rid of that infection!!

Have a great week-end everyone!

Hugs



dreamyone wrote on Nov 17, '07
I'm so happy to hear that he's moving his leg on his own Mo, that is encouraging!. But I'm so sorry that he's having problems with sleeping.. and understand that completely as I go through the same thing at the hospital when I'm there.. the beds are so uncomfortable and hurt, and it's hard being away from home. I really hope once he gets into a room that he'll get a little more peace and comfortable and be able to sleep better. I continue my prayers for you both.. and send my love as well. And I just know that it sounds like he's gonna be okay and is so strong! that is good news., He's gonna beat this and get better soon :)... Love you much and stay strong my friend...

Hugs Les

juniegerl wrote on Nov 17, '07
Wow Mo...That was an enlightening catch up... gosh GF Thanks for taking the time to let us all know his well-bing...Prayers are continuous you can be sure...I believe you Mo, Tony is gonna beat this love, you just be sure and keep your faith...
God Bless and Prayers always for you both
Hugs
June

kandaphati wrote on Nov 17, '07
I am glad Tony is doing better. Hope he is sleeping by now.

So important to think positive.. In fact, it is quite a challenge.
Now think of 10 good things that are happening around you...
(LOL, I need that, too.)

My thoughts are with you, Mo. Take good care of yourself while you are back at home, OK?
HUGS...

shepaintsthestars wrote on Nov 17, '07
Miss Mo....
So glad to see a blog from you tonight. I was wondering how you and Tony were both doing. Both you and Tony have been in my constant prayers...And that is more than lip service. There is so much drama, terminal illness and obstacles happening in my family and personal life that it brings me much peace to pray for others. God is good, during prayer He allows me to feel much peace and rested afterwards.

My niece has a small family business that works with geriatric and pedatric cases especially those that require physical rehab....If you have any questions or I can help in anyway...Please contact me....There are ways you cab excercise Tony yourself in order that he does not lose muscle mass has he recovers that is easy on his body....I have to excercise my Mother everyday as she lays in her hospital bed....

In any case Mo, God Bless You and keep you in the palm of His hands.

Hugssssssssssssss
Mindy

nanatimes8 wrote on Nov 17, '07
Well Mo, sounds like the recovery process is beginning and I'm so glad to hear that!!! Keeping the prayers going for you both!!! Take care sweetie and thanks for keeping us posted!!:-)

barbarab1313 wrote on Nov 17, '07
(((HUGS)))

moscreations wrote on Nov 18, '07
Thanks Barbara, I need a lot of those :)

Thanks Nancy, I pray it will get better, but so many obstacles ahead, not only physically, but financially, but I try not to let it get too me too much, but sometimes, it just can't be helped.

Moe, you better believe it, it's atrocious, this is now 4 days he's been waiting to be transferred and I think that sometimes, some of the nurses, not all, but some, are maybe a bit frustrated too.

Thanks so much Mindy, I guess we all have our crosses to bear don't we. I know that Tony did so much for me, that I want to do everything possible for him. I do exercise him to the best of my ability, he hasn't regained any movement in his arm as yet, and I don't know what to do about the speech therapy, the therapist only comes twice a week, and Friday was one of them, and he missed it because he hadn't slept the night before, so the nurse said he couldn't do it.I wish I could find something on the 'net about it, but so far all I find is things you buy to get this done, but I haven't had much time to do real research either, as I spend all my time with him there! Thanks for the prayers and I hope that your problems in your family will also be resolved. Terminal illness is even worse, I pray that the road ahead will be smoothed over with God's help. Hugs, Mo

Thanks Kanda, Friday night he woke up at 3am, didn't sleep much after that, but did get some in the afternoon, only about an hour. Not sure about last night as I haven't called yet, I have to wait until about 8:30 to be able to call him, as they have to transfer the call from the nurse's station, and 8AM is the time when the nurses change shift. I am lucky to have a friend who is staying with us taking care of Tara (my dog) and she raked the leaves yesterday. At least I don't have that worry.

Thank you June. we sure do need a LOT of prayers, if he could just get rid of this bug he's got in his blood and we can get him to a rehab center, then he will improve, until then, it's very slow going!! Hugs by to you sweet.

Hi Leslie, I've been thinking about you so much too, hope that your operation went well and didn't have anymore complications??
To be sure it's not joy to be in a hospital and specially when you can't move, and he is so tall that he keeps slipping to the bottom of the bed and has to be lifted back up, but still, it is more comfortable in the ICU than in a regular room, those beds are not as comfortable. Plus there is a better service. nurses wise, 1 nurse for 2 patients, versus 1 nurse for 13!!!!!! Recovery is going to take a lot of time, I can't wait to be able to get him into one of the rehab center, but there also, we have to wait for an opening!!!! Nothing is ever easy in life!!! Take care sweetie. Hugs, Mo




No comments: