Thursday, August 23, 2012

Christmas Blessings

Originally published on Multiply December 11th 2006



Christmas Blessings

Dear Lord, I'm feeling down today, 
The bills are stacked up high; 
With Christmas just two weeks away, 
Our bank account's run dry.
The kids have all presented lists 
Of things they want to see; 
I hope and pray there's nothing missed 
Beneath our Christmas tree.
But I don't have the money for 
Expensive clothes and toys; 
My credit card can't take much more, 
Lord, where's my Christmas joy?
Perhaps it's wrapped up in that hug 
My daughter gave this morn; 
Or stacked with wood my son did lug 
To keep us nice and warm.
Perhaps it's in my oldest's eyes 
When he comes home on break, 
And sees I've baked those pumpkin pies H
He wanted me to make.

Perhaps it's in the tired lines 
Around my husband's eyes; 
Perhaps in love that's grown with time 
I've found the greater prize.
A friend who gives a hearty smile, 
And cupboards that aren't bare; 
And, even if they aren't in style, 
I've got some clothes to wear.
A family who believes in me 
In all things great and small; 
Dear God, I think I finally see - 
I am not poor at all!

No comments: