Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Another update

Originally published on Multiply, November 25th 2007



Sorry that I haven't been on in a couple of days, I come home just so exhausted, that I crash in the living room for a while and watch whatever Pat has on TV, then take my pills (not sleeping pills) and head to bed, only to sleep very little, the night before only 3 1/2 hours, and not that much more last night. I guess the stress of it all is catching up with me.

With my centipede problem, I missed seeing the physio therapy of Friday. But from what I heard from Tony, they had him up on some sort of platform and waling him (by them pushing his foot) I'm not too sure what else they did, these always exhaust him too for the next few hours and he sleeps a lot. The speech therapist was there Friday as well, and she left me with a stack of photocopies from her huge book showing facial exercises to get the facial muscle working and speech exercises, words and phrases, so I ran those with him twice yesterday and still also exercise his leg, foot, arm and hand. Although his arm is not moving on his own, he can resist pressure when you move his forearm, so that is a good sign.

Then in the afternoon we get the visit from the Infectious Disease doctor, he said that they can't confirm that the aortic mechanical valve he has is infected, but they will treat him as if it were, so he was adding a new medication called Rifampin ( I was spelling it incorrectly as Refampine, because I thought that's what one of the nurse had told me but I finally found it on the web). Man oh man, this is one tough drug. The doctor warned us that it would make his secretions, tears, urine etc from orange to red. And also, they would have to monitor him as it could give him Hepatitis C. My response was, if the disease doesn't kill you the cure will!!! This is damn scary and I sure hope he doesn't get that on top of everything else, we have enough to deal with as it is. This drug has to be taken for 31 days - another long haul!!! I asked him if it would delay his move to a rehab facility, he said it shouldn't, but you just never know, so I'm hoping it won't.

The doctor on rounds this week-end stopped by to see how he was and he was starting to complain of bad cramps, and gas in his abdomen and feeling the need to go to the bathroom, so she said she would write in his chart to give him something for that, but before he had a need for it, he started to go on his own, of course he can't get up, so you can guess what happens, fortunately they always have "piqués" in patients beds, so it doesn't soil anything else. I felt so bad for him, and of course you have to keep chasing for orderlies, as there was only 2 for the floor!! And a couple of nurses, yesterday was just hell at the hospital, on the evening shift anyway, I sure hope it was better during the night. Anyway, this happened twice, the second time, one of the nurses came and said they would take a sample and have it tested for another virus called C. difficile, another common virus in hospitals, specially in Quebec, aren't we just lucky!!!!! I pray that it isn't present, his immune system is going to be going to hell with all these antibiotics!

Yesterday the Vancomycin he gets by intravenously (for the Staphylococcus) blew up his arm, he had a huge bubble, so I had to call the nurse to get another IV line going, he's been pricked so often that it's so difficult for them to find any viable veins to take blood samples and to move IV's to another location. He's a human pin cushion and I feel so sorry for him.

I just remembered something else, on Thursday afternoon, one of the nurse he had in ICU came by for a visit, she's such a nice nurse - there are some terrific nurses there and some not so pleasant!!!. The evening nurse he had that night and Wednesday also came by just before I was leaving and she actually exercised Tony's arm and leg!!! First time I see that from a nurse. But she finds us a "romantic couple" :) because I'm always there for him, and help him out, and her own husband (from whom she's now divorced) had a stroke as well and completely recovered, so she knows what we're going through. It's so nice to see these nurses to go out of their way to be pleasant with patients, and so many are just there to do their job, get through their shift and go home, but knowing how short staff they are, I can sympathise with them, but at the same time, it wouldn't kill them to offer a smile once in a while, it does so much for the patient.

Well, I have blabbed long enough now, Tara (my dog) is begging me to feed her......lol......so I guess I better do that, and then get washed, have breakfast and get ready for another day at the hospital!!

Keep the prayers coming :) Have a nice Sunday!


moscreations wrote on Nov 29, '07
Thanks Donna. It sure is slow moving because the hospital has such limited resources, it's just awful. Even the meds he is taking for the infection is not working all that well, so it may take time before he's out of that one.

Thos damn centipedes, this is the first year we've ever had any in the house, the first time scared the crap out of me, at that time I was sitting in the living room watching TV and spotted something moving on my top, I look down and it was one of those crawling on me and I was all alone in the house.......lol, caught that one in a jar and called the exterminator....lol
dkbtimbo51 wrote on Nov 28, '07
Hi Monique, I, am now just able to get caught up with your last couple of posts. It sounds as if Tony is doing somewhat better which is excellent news. I know his recovery from the stroke will be slow, but he is making progress which is fabulous. Praise The Lord! I just hope they can get the infection under control. Even though I may not get a chance to post every day., please know that you and Tony both are in my thoughts and prayers on a daily bases. God bless you both. Hugs, Donna/Dkbtimbo51

Ohhhhhhh the centipedes. I think they are one of the ugliest insects on this earth that God made.I, am, sure He has a reason for them. I sure would like to know it. I hope that problem goes away for you. Mo get some rest!
moscreations wrote on Nov 28, '07
Thanks Barbara, actually last night wasn't too bad, I didn't get continuous sleep, but I did manage to get back to sleep, not sure how long it all adds up to, but I do feel a bit better this morning, hopefully I have turned that corner :)
barbarab1313 wrote on Nov 27, '07
We can never get enough of those. I can't imagine how hard it is for you right now. No wonder you can't sleep your mind must be going a mile a minute. Like I said in the other message don't be concerned about taking a sleeping pill it will do you no harm and I think it would do you the world of good to get some rest. You need it.

moscreations wrote on Nov 27, '07
Back at ya Barbara :) sure need a lot of those these days
barbarab1313 wrote on Nov 26, '07
(((HUGS)))

moscreations wrote on Nov 26, '07
Thanks Moe, Misty and Kanda
yes Moe, the centipede issue is now resolved :) had the house sprayed.
Sunday was pretty uneventful, so nothing really to report. Except that I still can't sleep for crap here, only slept about 3 hours again, so trying to come down here and tired myself out to sleep maybe an hour, but I don't think that will happen, so I'll catch some catnap in the hospital, which is what I did yesterday. :)

kandaphati wrote on Nov 26, '07
Thinking of both of you.
Please always take real good care of yourself, Mo.
mistyshadows2u wrote on Nov 25, '07
Crappers MO you two sure have a lot on the plate. Thanks again for updating as it is important we can follow you and say prayers for Tony. Even tho you can't hear me I'm rootin loud and clear for Tony's corner. xoxo

moezie wrote on Nov 25, '07
thanks for updating mo! i'm praying tony doesn't get c'diff or any other hospital bugs for that matter ... hope the centipede issue is resolved and that you can get some rest :o) xoxox




No comments: