Monday, August 27, 2012

Another day and still in the hospital!

Originally published on Multiply, November 10th, 2007




I'm so exhausted that I wasn't going to post a blog tonight, but felt I had to, for those who are genuinely interested.

Well, today was the day Tony had to go through his nuclear test. They took him down at around 8:15am, I was talking to him on the phone. They did the first part of the test, which was rather uncomfortable for him.

They were simulating a stress test by injecting him with something - I don't know what it was, which would increase his heart rate and blood pressure, the same as if he was on a treadmill actually walking, and he was in bed the whole time, his HR went to 120 and they had to give him puffs of the nitro 4 times as he was getting chest pain. To bring down the effect of this, they had to give him caffeine afterwards. That's why he couldn't have any caffeine prior to the test, as it would have negated the effect.

Then they brought him back to his room, and around 10am they took him down again for part 2 of the test, that was the part where they were scanning to see what was happening, and they found some blockages, they require to do another test, not quite sure what it is, but they can't do it until Tuesday, naturally they don't do anything on the week-end and Monday is a holiday for hospital workers, I think it is because of Armistice day, November 11, which falls on a Sunday this year, so they get Monday off. I remembered seeing a sign at the blood taking clinic saying it would be closed that day and I didn't understand why, and now I do :)

The cardiologist came to see him tonight as well, just after supper, to tell him all of this, and that he would be away and another cardiologist would be taking over the case. He also said, when I asked if he could go home, that they MIGHT give him a "day pass" so he could come home during the day and return at night, so they can continue to monitor his INR , he is to start to take his Coumadin tonight, they stopped giving him the Heparin drip. So they need him to be there for a few days to make sure that everything is ok.

So, we'll see tomorrow if they will indeed let him out during the day, it sure would be nice to have him home if only for a few hours, and to give him real food, the food really stinks there!!! Can't get any fresh vegetables, it's always canned veggies, everything is so bland!

Since they took his IV off, he was able to shower tonight, he felt so good after that, and I can understand, I remember how it was when I was in there for that length of time and not be able to shower.

I came home around 9pm tonight and watched some TV and fell asleep for about an hour, I wasn't going to come down to post this, because I was so tired, but I went up and got washed and felt a bit refreshed, so I came back down. Now I'm ready for bed :)

Goodnight everyone and



kandaphati wrote on Nov 10, '07
Awwww... I hope you have rested when you read this comment of mine. Take care... The docs and the nurses and YOU help in taking care of Tony, but no one takes care of you. Please do not overwork. Smile~ I wish both of you a peaceful weekend. Stay warm.


mombaker wrote on Nov 10, '07
What Tony has & is going through, I have been there more then I ever wanted to be. The next test they want to do on him is the same thing they did after the nuclear test. Just take pictures of his heart in a resting mode. No stress, but any of those things they do is no fun. Since they found blockage they may want to send an internal camera into his heart to see better what they need to know so they can put stents in or do a bypass. The stents is preferable, but sometimes they have no choice but to do a bypass...I have no idea why. I just know they put 3 stents in me & I'm grateful it wasn't a bypass. Whichever will allow him to be with you longer. God Bless & my prayers are for you both. Love you, MOM

moezie wrote on Nov 10, '07
thanks for the ongoing update mo! i truly hope tony comes home for a few over the weekend ... a change of scenery and some fresh veggies would be great for him :o) continuing to keep the two of you in my thoughts a prayers xoxox moe 

mistyshadows2u wrote on Nov 10, '07
I've seen on TV new techniques for doing bypass which is supposed to be less painful, faster healing time. It's that microscoptic whatever it's called surgery..Like three or four holes and not the open up the chest thing...I know how I felt when finally allowed to shower. Felt like twenty pounds of dirt removed..Happy to hear they have gotten that nuclear test done and the IV off. Can't you make him some cooked meals and take them in hot or micro wave them when you get to hospital. That way he gets home cooked????

dkbtimbo51 wrote on Nov 10, '07
Monique, I know you are most certainly worried about , Tony, but you need to take good care of yourself , too. I understand your exhaustion. I hope you were able to get a good nights sleep. My heart goes out to you and Tony. I do hope he is able to come home even on a day pass. I think it would be good for both of you. Please take care and know we all praying for Tony's recovery. God bless. Donna/Dkbtimbo51

barbarab1313 wrote on Nov 10, '07
Thanks for the update. Glad he is at least to be able to get up and about a bit. You would think that given the fact that people who are in hospital need to be kept nourished that they would have some fresh food. All the money is being spent on mismanagement.
You are sounding very run down. I know it is difficult to think of yourself but please do or you might find yourself in a bed beside Tony. So please get as much rest as you can and make sure to eat. You are both in my thoughts and prayers. MAJOR (((HUGS)))

bluesie wrote on Nov 10, '07
oH my god you he is really going through the wringer....
I am interested please keep me informed...
My prayers still with you both....
I am not always on these days myself so I come to check every now and then
hugs to you both ..
hope he is home now....
Pat

moscreations wrote on Nov 10, '07
Thank you all so so much for your comments and good thoughts and prayers.

Nope Pat, he's still in the hospital for the duration.
Yeah don't I know it Barbara, it's a shame the grub they feed patients, it's a disgrace! I am pretty tired, but feel I have to be there because patients sure don't get much help from the staff there.
Unfortunately Donna, they can't let him out on day passes, they had to put him back on an IV :(
I don't know that he'll need a bypass Misty, they'll really only know after he gets through the next test on Tuesday.
I wish I could bring some food to him Moe and Misty, but I can't, the food really stinks and I don't mean that figuratively, it's just plain not appetizing in the least.
Hi MOM, hope that it is they will need to do IF they need to do anything invasive, he went through heart surgery in 1995 and I hope he won't have to go through it again.
Thanks Kanda for your concern, I wish the nurses actually cared!!! But THEIR attitude really stinks too - me thinks I use this expression too much...lol

OK time for a new blog entry :)

latonya61 wrote on Nov 10, '07
Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers Mo.
My husband has been fighting bladder cancer for the past
year and a half and I know how hard it is watching your
loved one having to go through this and feeling helpless.

Just know I'm praying for the best for the both of you.

Love and friendship always.......Latonya

moscreations wrote on Nov 10, '07
OMG Latonya, I'm so sorry for your hubby. Hope that he can pull through this!
We can't underestimate the power of prayers!
Take care and thanks for yours


No comments: