Monday, August 27, 2012

Things are now getting worse!!!

Originally published on Multiply, November 12th, 2007

This date is etched forever in my memory, in re-reading this post, I can't hep reliving the whole thing all over again, but at least now, I know the outcome!



Well as if things weren't going peachy before, now they are bleak.

Tony had a stroke this morning, he is unable to speak, and his right side is pretty much useless. They don't yet know the cause of it, hopefully by tomorrow I'll have a clearer picture. Here is what happened.

This morning I called him to say good morning and see how he was, a woman answered the phone and I asked for him and she gave him the phone and all I heard was "I think I'm in trouble" and his speech was slurred, I knew right away he had a stroke. I called the nurse's station right away, but they couldn't or wouldn't say anything, fortunately I don't live far from the hospital, and I got to his room at about 8:55 and they were pulling his bed out of the room, to bring him to get a CT scan. Fortunately, the scan came back clear, there were no bleeds. So that was good, but they still don't know what caused the stroke.

He was getting up, as he does everyday, to go to the bathroom and get washed, and he fell. From what the lady across from his bed said - and I take it with a grain of salt, because she's not all there all the time, she said he was down for 20 minutes.And knowing how it is at the hospital today, I can believe it. Because today is their Remembrance day holiday, and the nurse that was looking after him, was from an agency and was looking after 13 patients!!!! Most of whom need a lot of extra care.

His temperature at 9:15am was 40.3C, that's 105F. The night before when I left he was 39.6C or 103F. If I had known better I would have asked them to call the cardiologist, because someone who has a mechanical heart valve, like he does, and has high temperature like that, it can cause problems. But I didn't know that, so I expected that the Tylenol they gave him would take care of the temperature, but it didn't. And he had an infection at the site of an IV line that had been removed the day before, and I think that might - but I don't know for sure  - be the root of the infection.

They did a culture for the fever, lots of blood vials, I never really heard back from anyone about that, but by then the family had come to the hospital, his sister Carole with her daughter Anna, who is a nurse herself, and his brother Jim.

His fever kept on climbing, to 40.9C (106F) later that morning.

The neurologist finally came over to see him and examined him, to see if he could get a reaction and movements from his limbs and if he could speak, he then asked us to join him in a meeting room.

The news was pretty bleak by then, he was quite critical, and would be moved to ICU. He said that they didn't know what caused the stroke. But if it was an infection and if something leaked in his blood stream and get to him brain, he could get encephalitis, and the only way to be sure is to do a lumbar puncture, but he couldn't do it because of his blood - being thin, he could bleed too much. And the other thing it would be, is a blockage, blood clot somewhere, and maybe in the heart valve. So to check this out they would do a eccogram. Which they would do at the ICU.

They tried to do that, but his fever by then had peaked at 42C (108F) that was very scary, I couldn't believe it was that high, so they packed him with ice and put cold compresses on his head and of course gave him Tylenol and antibiotics intravenously. They also gave him Demerol to calm him down. They tried twice to do the scan, but couldn't because it is heat sensitive and he was way too hot. So they will try it again in the morning.

With the help of the Tylenol and the ice, the fever finally broke and when I left tonight at about 9pm, the temperature was down to a more manageable 37.2C (99F).

He's not out of the woods yet, I was so looking forward to bringing him home and take some time to recuperate. Now, the future is pretty bleak, and I can't even think ahead, I don't know what the future holds. I just hope that he survives this. This morning, even that wasn't sure. When I asked the neurologist point blank if he was going to die, and I had trouble even saying that word, he just didn't know.

As we were waiting in the hallway to be able to go see him in the ICU at one point, I saw a priest go by (Father Michael) and I asked him to come in and say a prayer for him and he did and I so appreciated that, maybe that's what helped in breaking the fever.

So, please if you can, say a prayer for him. We need all the prayers we can get.

Goodnight, I have to get to bed, I'm just exhausted and want to be there early tomorrow morning and see what is happening with the scan.

ERRATA: It's not encephalitis it's meningitis that he could be having. I was lying in bed, since 10:30, can't sleep a wink, and then I remembered that I made a mistake, so I came down to correct this. I doubt that I'll sleep at all tonight, my mind is whirling, thinking about 100 different things that will need to be done. I can't sleep at all, even though I'm tired, I guess I'm pass the point of no return!


magicwomantouch wrote on Nov 12, '07
I just read your blog sweetie, hope you don't mind if I send some positive thoughts and energy to you and Tony, My Mum had a similar experience happen so I know how frustrating it can be not having the answers to so many questions..Hugs Ronnie

kandaphati wrote on Nov 12, '07
You are in my thoughts. Hope to hear better news. Hang on, Tony....!!!!!!!!!!!!

donnak wrote on Nov 12, '07
You're both in my prayers. ((Hugs!))

moscreations wrote on Nov 13, '07
Thank you Ronnie. I couldn't sleep so I came back on the computer, I had noticed while my mind was going in 100 different directions that I had made a mistake, so I came down to correct it. Thanks so much for your comment, I certainly don't mind and appreciate it. Hugs back to you, Monique

Thanks Kanda, me too, I want to be hopeful, but I just don't know!

Thanks Donna, I appreciate and will take all prayers sent our way :)

dkbtimbo51 wrote on Nov 13, '07
Oh Monique my eyes filled up with tears, and my heart sank when I read your update on Tony. I, am, so very sorry to hear about the high fevers and stroke.. You know I will keep his wellness in prayer, and hopefully with the power of prayer and medicine we can get him healed and on the road to recovery. This has to be so hard on you my friend. Hang in there and know we are here if you need us. God bless you both. Hugs, Donna/Dkbtimbo51

nanatimes8 wrote on Nov 13, '07
Ohhhhhh Monique....I'm so sorry Tony is going thru this and your right along with him. And, of course, my prayers are going up for you both!!! May you both be Blessed with lots of healing and love!!!!

moscreations wrote on Nov 13, '07
Thank you Nancy and Donna, my mind is just a whirled of thoughts and I don't know how I'll cope, but I have to. As you can imagine I didn't sleep much last night, I had a few bites of cereals, I'm not really hungry and now I'm on my way to the hospital. I called this morning and there was no change, his right leg has some involuntary movement and I'm not sure what that means. Anyway, I'll try to blog again tonight
Thanks again for all the prayers, we both need them
Hugs to you

mistyshadows2u wrote on Nov 13, '07
Big hugs for you and Tony. This is a scary time as you say they don't know what has caused this set back. Hope you get some answers today. You need to eat to keep your strength up as you will be no good for Tony if you get sick. Running back and forth to the hospital and all the mental anguish can wear you down really fast. Prayers for you both.

moezie wrote on Nov 13, '07
((((((((hugs you tight mo)))))))) i'm praying as i type my sweet friend and was glad to read that tony's fever broke ... my uncle at age 78 had several strokes this past april and has regained his speech and mobility ... so i'm keeping positive thoughts and take good care xoxox

fickow wrote on Nov 13, '07
Mo we are thinking of you and praying for your Tony, Big Big Hugz love from the both of us. oxoxoxx

mombaker wrote on Nov 13, '07
Love,Hugs, & Prayer for you & Tony. I sent you a personal email. God Bless!!

osuzana wrote on Nov 13, '07
You know you just have to stay on top of that hospital staff. I just wonder about hospitals sometimes and would think they would have done something about the high fever sooner. Just jump em. Go down the hall and ask them questions. That is what I did. I tried to be helpful to them so they would be helpful to me. It is so good you have some family there. Others might not think this is appropriate. But if you can't sleep get up, make you some hot choc. and play in psp. It will help you to relax and you will be in better shape when Tony needs you to be there for him. Love ya.

barbarab1313 wrote on Nov 13, '07
(((HUGS))) and many prayers to you and Tony.

juniegerl wrote on Nov 13, '07
Hi My friend and email buddy...I pray everything is going better Mo...I can't get you guys off my mind...Just want you to know I am still praying for both of you...I am always close by my friend...
If I knew how to put an Angel here I surely would Mo, for both you and Tony
God Bless and may the Angels look down apon you
Love and Prayers
June AKA Junie Girl

andershansen wrote on Nov 14, '07
Oh dear Mos! Im so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Tony. Hope everything turns out alright in the end. Hugs and lots of love ur friend Anders!

moscreations wrote on Nov 14, '07
Please accept my thanks everyone a all your lovely comments and all the prayers, it means the world to me, even if I don't respond to each individually. I appreciate every friend I have here and all the support you are giving me.
I was too darned tired to blog last night, I got home at 11 and went straight to bed. I'll try to post this morning the updates.
Hugs to you all and thank you again, I love you all.
Monique

dreamyone wrote on Nov 14, '07
Mo,

I'm so very sorry Tony and you are going through this, I just feel so terribly sad for you and for him but I am still praying very hard for Tony that things will turn around and begin to get better.
I only wish I had the right words for you now, As I know you must be totally exhusted and beside yourself with worry.
sweetie if there is anything I can do to help ,or if you just need to talk ... I'm a good listener and you know I love you... big hugs

moscreations wrote on Nov 14, '07
Thanks Les, and you know that I worry about you too :)
Tony has made some small improvements in the last couple of days, and I'll blog about it tonight :)
Thanks so much for the prayers and your friendship, they mean a lot to me
Hugs

 


No comments: